CK5 and CK14 are high molecular weight cytokeratins expressed in a variety of normal and neoplastic epithelial tissues. p63, a homolog of the tumor suppressor p53, was detected in nuclei of the basal epithelium in normal prostate glands; however, it was not expressed in malignant tumors of the prostate. Expression of P504S protein is found in prostatic adenocarcinoma but not in benign prostatic tissue. The combination of the basal cell markers (CK5/14 and p63) with P504S may be an extremely useful aid in diagnosing prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (PIN), especially in difficult and limited tissues cases.
1. Moll R, et. al. The Catalog of Human Cytokeratins: Patterns of Expression in Normal Epithelia, Tumors and Cultures Cells. Cell. 1982;31:11-24.
2. Yang Y, et. al. Differential Expression of Cytokeratin mRNA and Protein in Normal Prostate, Prostatic Intraepithelial Neoplasia, and Invasive Carcinoma. Am J Pathol. 1997; 150:693-704.
3. Yang A, et. al. p63, a p53 Homolog at 3q27–29, Encodes Multiple Products with Transactivating, Death-Inducing, and Dominant-Negative Activities. Mol Cell. 1998;2:305-16.
4. Signoretti S, et. al. p63 Is a Prostate Basal Cell Marker and Is Required for Prostate Development. Am J Pathol. 2000;157:1769-75.
5. Ferdinandusse S, et. al. Subcellular localization and physiological role of α- methylacyl-CoA racemase. J Lipid Res. 2000; 41:1890-6.
6. Xu J, et. al. Identification of Differentially Expressed Genes in Human Prostate Cancer Using Subtraction and Microarray. Cancer Res. 2000; 60:1677-82.
7. Rubin MA, et. al. α-Methylacyl Coenzyme A Racemase as a Tissue Biomarker for Prostate Cancer. JAMA. 2002; 287:1662-70.
8. Luo J, et. al. Alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase: a new molecular marker for prostate cancer. Cancer Res. 2002; 62:2220-6.
9. Zhou M, et. al. Alpha-Methylacyl-CoA Racemase A Novel Tumor Marker Overexpressed in Several Human Cancers and Their Precursor Lesions. Am J Surg Pathol. 2002; 26:926-31.
10. Wu CL, et. al. Analysis of α-Methylacyl-CoA Racemase (P504S) Expression in High-Grade Prostatic Intraepithelial Neoplasia. Hum Pathol. 2004; 35:1008-13.
11. Center for Disease Control Manual. Guide: Safety Management, NO. CDC-22, Atlanta, GA. April 30, 1976 “Decontamination of Laboratory Sink Drains to Remove Azide Salts.”
12. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI). Protection of Laboratory Workers from Occupationally Acquired Infections; Approved guideline-Third Edition CLSI document M29-A3 Wayne, PA 2005.