Glycoproteins, including Gross Cystic Disease Fluid Protein-15 antibody (GCDFP-15), are considered to be markers of apocrine differentiation. Numerous studies have shown GCDFP-15 to be a specific marker for breast cancer in formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissues and in cytologic preparation (fine needle aspirates). Studies on breast cancer have shown that GCDFP-15 associated significantly with a profile of good prognosis tumors. Another breast cancer study showed that 73.3% of invasive breast carcinomas expressed GCDFP-15. Other types of tissues that express GCDFP-15 are axillary sweat glands and submandibular salivary glands.
1. Hall RE, Clements JA, Birrell SN, Tilley WD. Prostate-specific antigen and gross cystic disease fluid protein-15 are co-expressed in androgen receptor-positive breast tumours. Br J Cancer 1998 Aug;78(3):360-5.
2. Viacava P, Naccarato AG, Bevilacqua G. Spectrum of GCDFP-15 expression in human fetal and adult normal tissues. Virchows Arch 1998 Mar;432(3):255-60.
3. Fiel MI, Cernaianu G, Burstein DE, Batheja N. Value of GCDFP-15 (BRST-2) as a specific immunocytochemical marker for breast carcinoma in cytologic specimens. Acta Cytol 1996 Jul-Aug;40(4):637-41.
4. Wallace ML, Smoller BR. Differential sensitivity of estrogen/progesterone receptors and BRST-2 markers in metastatic ductal and lobular breast carcinoma to the skin. Am J Dermatopathol 1996 Jun;18(3):241-7.
5. Wick MR, Lillemoe TJ, Copland GT, Swanson PE, Manivel JC, Kiang DT. Gross cystic disease fluid protein-15 as a marker for breast cancer: immunohistochemical analysis of 690 human neoplasms and comparison with alpha-lactalbumin Hum Pathol 1989 Mar;20(3):281-7.
6. Center for Disease Control Manual. Guide: Safety Management, NO. CDC-22, Atlanta, GA. April 30, 1976 “Decontamination of Laboratory Sink Drains to Remove Azide Salts.”
7. National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards (NCCLS). Protection of laboratory workers from infectious diseases transmitted by blood and tissue; proposed guideline. Villanova, PA 1991;7(9). Order code M29-P.