It has been shown that CD31 PECAM-1 Antibody can detect vascular endothelium associated antigen and has been used as a marker for benign and malignant human vascular disorders, myeloid leukemia infiltrates and megakaryocytes in normal bone marrow. When compared to Factor VIII and CD34 antibodies, studies have shown CD31 to be a superior marker for angiogenesis; which reportedly predicts tumor recurrence. CD31 with CD34 and Factor VIII has been used to mark Kaposi’s sarcoma and angiosarcomas. Other studies indicate that CD31 and CD34 can be used as markers for myeloid progenitor cells that recognize different myeloid leukemia infiltrates.
1. Dango S, et al. Lung Cancer. 2008 Jun; 60(3):426-33.
2. Rongioletti F, et al. Am J Dermatopathol. 1996 Oct; 18(5):474-7.
3. Poblet E, Gonzalez-Palacios F, Jimenez FJ. Virchows Arch. 1996 Jul; 428(4-5):217-21.
4. Russell Jones R, et al. J Clin Pathol. 1995 Nov; 48(11):1011-6.
5. Hudock J, Chatten J, Miettinen M. Am J Clin Pathol. 1994 Jul; 102(1):55-60.