The HMB45 clone reacts with a neuraminidase-sensitive oligosaccharide side chain of a glycoconjugate present in immature melanosomes. The HMB45-reactive antigen is present in cutaneous melanocytes, prenatal and infantile retinal pigment epithelium and melanoma cells. It is also thought to be oncofetal in nature. This antibody has been shown to label the majority of melanomas. The MART-1/Melan A recognizes a protein of 18kDa, identified at MART-1 (Melanoma Antigen Recognized by T cells 1) or Melan-A. The MART-1 recognizes a subcellular fraction found in melanosomes. The antibody labels melanomas and tumors showing melanocytic differentiation (1,2). It does not mark neoplasms of epithelial origin, lymphomas or mesenchymal tumors. Melan-A is a useful addition to melanoma panels which are specific to melanocytic lesions. Studies have also shown that MART-1 is more sensitive than HMB45 when labeling metastatic melanomas. HMB45 and MART-1 are coexpressed in the majority of melanomas, as well as solely expressed in certain cases. Thus, the HMB45 and MART-1 cocktail is potentially more sensitive than HMB45 and MART-1 alone. The MART-1 is a cocktail of clones M2-7C10 + M2- 9E3. The combination of HMB45 and the MART-1 cocktail make this triple antibody cocktail a first-order pan melanoma screener (3).
1. Blessing K, Sanders DS, Grant JJ. Comparison of immunohistochemical staining of
the novel antibody Melan-A with S100protein and HMB-45 in malignant melanoma
and melanoma variants. Histopathology 1998 Feb; 32 (2):139-146.
2. Jungbluth AA et al. A103: An anti-melan-a monoclonal antibody for the detection
of malignant melanoma in paraffin-embedded tissues. Am J Surg Pathol 1998 May;22
3. Beaty MW et al. Effusion cytology of malignant melanoma: A morphologic and
immunocytochemical analysis including application of the MART-1 antibody.
Cancer 1997 Feb 25;81(1):57-63.
4. Bonetti F, et al. False-positive immunostaining of normal epithelia and carcinomas
with ascites fluid preparations of antimelanoma monoclonal antibody HMB45. Amer
J. clin Pathol 1991;95:454
5. Leong AS-Y, Millos J. An assessment of a melanoma-specific antibody(HMB-45)
and other immunohistochmical markers of malignant melanoma in paraffin-embedded
tissues. Surg Pathol 1989;2:137.
6. Ordonez NG, et al. Comparison of HMB45 monoclonal antibody and S100 protein
in the immunohistochemical diagnosis of melanoma. Amer J Clin Pathol 1988;90:385.
7. Center for Disease Control Manual. Guide: Safety Management, NO. CDC-22,
Atlanta, GA. April 30, 1976 “Decontamination of Laboratory Sink Drains to Remove
8. National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards(NCCLS). Protection of
laboratory workers from infectious diseases transmitted by blood and tissue; proposed
guideline. Villanova, PA 1991;7(9). Order code M29-P.