No products in the cart.
MUC-1 is a large cell surface mucin glycoprotein expressed by most glandular and ductal epithelial cells and some hematopoietic cell lineages. MUC-1 is secreted from tumor cells. MUC-1 antibody stains cell membranes, but also the cytoplasm of most epithelial cell types. It is expressed abundantly in lactating mammary glands and over-expressed in >90% breast carcinomas and late-stage epithelial ovarian cancers. Aberrant cytoplasmic and membranous localization of MUC-1 expression has been associated with poor patient outcome. Adenocarcinomas are generally positive while squamous carcinomas and non-epithelial malignancies are negative.
1. Rakha EA et al. Expression of mucins (MUC1, MUC2, MUC3, MUC4, MUC5AC and MUC6) and their prognostic significance in human breast cancer. Mod Pathol. 2005 Oct; 18(10): 1295-304.
2. Chauhan SC, Singh AP, Ruiz F, Johansson SL, Jain M, Smith LM, Moniaux N, Batra SK. Aberrant expression of MUC4 in ovarian carcinoma: diagnostic significance alone and in combination with MUC1 and MUC16 (CA125). Mod Pathol. 2006 Oct; 19(10): 1386-94. Epub 2006 Jul 28.
3. Rakha EA, Boyce RW, Abd El-Rehim D, Kurien T, Green AR, Paish EC, Robertson JF, Ellis IO. Expression of mucins (MUC1, MUC2, MUC3, MUC4, MUC5AC and MUC6) and their prognostic significance in human breast cancer. Mod Pathol. 2005 Oct;18(10):1295-304.
4. Nassar H, Pansare V, Zhang H, Che M, Sakr W, Ali-Fehmi R, Grignon D, Sarkar F,Cheng J, Adsay V. Pathogenesis of invasive micropapillary carcinoma: role of MUC1 glycoprotein. Mod Pathol. 2004 Sep;17(9):1045-50.
5. Langner C, Ratschek M, Rehak P, Schips L, Zigeuner R. Expression of MUC1 (EMA) and E-cadherin in renal cell carcinoma: a systematic immunohistochemical analysis of 188 cases. Mod Pathol. 2004 Feb;17(2):180-8.
6. Khoury T, Tan D, Wang J, Intengan M, Yang J, Alrawi S, Yan P, Byrd JC. Inclusion of MUC1 (Ma695) in a panel of immunohistochemical markers is useful for distinguishing between endocervical and endometrial mucinous adenocarcinoma. BMC Clin Pathol. 2006 Jan 12;6(1):1
7. Ohno T, Aihara R, Kamiyama Y, Mochiki E, Asao T, Kuwano H. Prognostic significance of combined expression of MUC1 and adhesion molecules in advanced gastric cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2006 Jan;42(2):256-63. Epub 2005 Dec 13.
8. Center for Disease Control Manual. Guide: Safety Management, NO. CDC-22, Atlanta, GA. April 30, 1976 “Decontamination of Laboratory Sink Drains to Remove Azide Salts.”
9. National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards (NCCLS). Protection of laboratory workers from infectious diseases transmitted by blood and tissue; proposed guideline. Villanova, PA 1991;7(9). Order code M29-P