D2-40 reacts with an O-linked sialoglycoprotein (MW 40 kDa) found in lymphatic endothelium, fetal testis and on the surface of testicular germ-cell tumors. D2-40 is a new selective marker of lymphatic endothelium in normal tissues and vascular lesions. In recent studies, clone D2-40 has shown a staining reaction in lymphatic channel endothelium, but not in the adjacent capillaries. Cytokeratin 8/18 (CK8/18) are type-II Intermediate Filament proteins that are found in many simple epithelial cells in respiratory, gastrointestinal, thyroid, and male and female reproductive tracts. In immunohistochemistry, CK8/18 has also been shown to stain most carcinomas such as liver, prostate, pancreatic, lung, breast and colon cancers. By labeling lymphatic endothelium with D2-40 (DAB) and carcinomas with CK8/18 (Warp Red), the staining contrast in a single section may simplify the evaluation and assessment of lymphatic micro-invasion.
1. Saad RS, Kordunsky L, Liu YL, Denning KL, Kandil HA, Silverman JF. Lymphatic microvessel density as prognostic marker in colorectal cancer. Mod Pathol. 2006 Oct; 19(10):1317-23. Epub 2006 Jun 23.
2. Angus B, Kiberu S, Purvis J, Wilkinson L, Horne CH. Cytokeratins in cervical dysplasia and neoplasia: a comparative study of immunohistochemical staining using monoclonal antibodies NCL-5D3, CAM5.2, and PKK1. J Pathol. 1988 May; 155(1):71-5.
3. Angus B, Purvis J, Stock D, Westley BR, Samson AC, Routledge EG, Carpenter FH, Horne CH. NCL-5D3: a new monoclonal antibody recognizing low molecular weight cytokeratins effective for immunohistochemistry using fixed paraffin-embedded tissue. J Pathol. 1987 Dec; 153(4):377-84.
4. Center for Disease Control Manual. Guide: Safety Management, NO. CDC-22, Atlanta, GA. April 30, 1976 “Decontamination of Laboratory Sink Drains to Remove Azide Salts.”
5. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI). Protection of Laboratory workers from Occupationally Acquired Infections; Approved guideline-Third Edition CLSI document M29-A3 Wayne, PA 2005.